Friday, May 30, 2008

Week 1/Thing 2

I'm just getting started and anxious to get this first post up so I can see what the blog layout/template will look like with some content! I skimmed through some of the course content and am excited to get moving, as I've been wanting to explore many of these Web 2.0 tools for personal use anyway. This class will help me justify "playing around" on the computer for the next few weeks! :)

I viewed the 7 1/2 Habits tutorial this afternoon. I would say that I am best at Habit #5, "Creating a Learning Toolbox." This is not necessarily a good thing! I am a definite planner and sometimes get so caught up in my preparations that I don't focus enough on the end goal. I enjoy the research phase of any problem, and this phase often seems to drag out too long and as a result the actual learning/accomplishment phase is often delayed. I am probably worst at Habit #1, "Begin with the End in Mind." I would say that I *do* think of the end goal, but my standards are high and I can be too much of a perfectionist. I think it would be better if I would think of mini-steps that are necessary to achieve my goals, rather than feeling like everything must be immediately flawless. Learning is a process, and I need to remember that!

It was interesting to see the final habit, play, brought up in an adult learning context. I am a strong believer in play-based learning for children, but had never thought of it as a method in which I still learn myself. Upon reflection, however, it is true! Take technology: when I'm playing around building web pages or editing digital photographs, it feels like unproductive "me time." In reality, I learn a lot while doing these activities!

3 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Hi Staci

I have to admit that one of the fun things about the new job this year has been the "requirement" to play around with new web 2.0 tools so that I can share them. I am getting a reputation as the person in the CIS dept. to go to for this. I am not sure that this is necessarily a good thing. Does it mean I don't have enough "real" work to do? Luckily my supervisor is very supportive of Web 2.0 so it is a priority for her.

Enjoy "play" and learning this summer.

hiker said...

You are a perfectionist Staci, but in a good way. I can say from personal experience that you are more "goal oriented" that you let on in your blog.

I agree about "play" bing important when learning new things. It's fun to watch kids with technology - they never miss a beat and will mess around with ease. Plus they have the memory brain cells to retain what they've experimented with!

Katie said...

I too struggle with guilt when I am "playing" with these web 2.0 tools on work time but since I spend as much or more time playing with them after hours that is becoming less of an issue. I'm finding that trying things at least once is so important. Otherwise I let the fear of a project taking too long keep me from ever trying it. I was thrilled a couple years ago to figure out how quickly I could photograph students, download the photos and turn them into an iPhoto slide show. The students would come into the library after a school wide assembly and see themselves rotating across the computer screen. It was fantastic. So many of these tools will be the same. Quick and easy and so showy.