Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 9/Thing 21: Podcasts

Podcasts: yet another thing I hear about all the time, but never really use myself. Until now! It's all about making the time to go play with these tools, and once you realize how simple they are you wonder why you haven't been using them forever! (Or since they became mainstream about 4 years ago... you get the point!)

Some of the tutorial links in this unit didn't work (like the Yahoo one) but I did enjoy the Lee Lefever video posted in my previous blog entry. I like how he explained "POD" to mean "Personal On Demand" -- and to think I'd always associated it with Apple!

I already had iTunes on my computer, but it was version 4.0 (shows how much we use it!) so I upgraded to 7.7 and started playing. I used the directory and found it very simple to search, listen, and subscribe. Frighteningly easy! I was also pleased that there were no buffering issues like sometimes happens with large video files. I need to play around more in iTunes because the interface isn't familiar to me yet.

The feed I subscribed to is from Storynory. The feed is available here. The site has a collection of over 100 children's classics in audiobook format. The reader - Nastasha - has a lovely British accent and they are very well done! This could be really fun to use in the library - especially if it's coupled with an art project. The kids could all listen to the story, and then you could divide up various sections and have the students listen again and create illustrations. Lastly, bring out copies of the actual books and let the kids compare their version to the published copies.

I found this feed through the iTunes directory - and it's perfect timing, because we are going on vacation next week and I can make a CD of stories for the kids to listen to on the plane or in the car!

2 comments:

Ann said...

I did my first podcast this May as part of an assignment for my evaluation. I used Garage Band and despite some fits and starts, it really worked out well and had a lot of flexibility. I still struggle with, what do I have to say that is all that important, but I can see many ways to integrate this into teaching and learning.

I will check the tutorial links on that page. Thanks for letting me know.

Ann

Leslie Gale said...

I have been listening to Jungle Book. The woman reader is ok. My thought is why doesn't she sound like a professional reader? I am still enjoying listening. I have been listening to this because I want to add podcasts to my story time this year. A variety of readers can keep students interested in listening to books. Plus this is free.
I too have learned a lot from Lee LeFever and wife team. The explanations and visuals are simple and easy to follow. I love his voice.