Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reflections about the course text

I've completed the assigned chapters from the Web 2.0 textbook. Here are my thoughts:

Chapter 1:
This chapter seemed to focus on education and the need to make major reforms that accept (and embrace) Web 2.0. One quote that especially caught my attention: "Today's education system faces irrelevance unless we bridge the gap between how students live and how they learn," (from a 2004 report Learning for the 21st Century). I've often wondered if a complete overhaul of our educational system is in order... students are coming to us with such varied backgrounds and abilities, and Web 2.0 could help individualize the process. Embracing these tools could breathe new life into students' enthusiasm for learning... if we can hammer it into their heads that the web is a tool for learning in addition to playing!

I remember reading about Microsoft's School of the Future in Philadelphia (this was years ago), and have often wondered how it is working. Rather than traditional content areas (reading, writing, arithmetic) this school broke the curriculum into several competencies that need to be achieved before graduation. I seem to remember it encompassing broader assets like responsibility and problem solving. It's an idea that has a lot of merit, I think...

This chapter lists the ability to keep learning as one of the most important skills a student must acquire. If technology continues to explode at the current rate, I would definitely have to agree. (But I also wonder if we are living in the midst of some sort of Technological Revolution, and eventually things will level out? Maybe not in our lifetime!)

I can't help but wonder how long all of these wonderful Web 2.0 tools will remain free. Will wireless access be a public service? Will Internet access become such a fundamental part of our society that it becomes subsidized? Will massive servers continue to store mammoth-sized files of photo and video collections for anyone who creates a user name and password? It's hard to imagine...

Chapter 7:

Online safety is a big issue, and I was glad to see it addressed in this book. It's clear that Web 2.0 tools have amazing potential for education, but safety is an essential consideration before we venture too far.

I love the idea of using wikis as collaborative class projects, with each student given the assignment to research, write, and publish a particular section or chapter. Just like the example in the chapter, a class could divide up a broad topic such as Internet Safety and each student could write a section (on cyber bullying, predators, social networks, filters, etc.). In addition to learning about the topic, students would be learning about technology (wikis), research skills, and writing skills. And perhaps one of the biggest bonuses to a project like this: parents would read it too! If I send home a preachy note about online safety, I don't know how many people will actually read it or take it seriously. But if it comes from the kids, it would be so much more meaningful!

I was intrigued by the copyright discussion in the chapter. I believe it's true that many people believe availability = permission and would like to explore Creative Commons more.

I don't have first hand experience with NetTrekker yet, but have seen some e-mails about it in the past year. How is it?

As for blocking software... I'm a bit of a hypocrite there. Philosophically, I am opposed to filters because I believe they create a false sense of security. No software can take the place of education, supervision, and conversation. But...realistically, it was such a relief when social networking sites like MySpace were blocked by the district, because it eliminated a lot of the trolling & discipline I had to do.

I wish it would be possible to stagger the amount of filtering/restriction by age level. We could entirely block elementary students as they are in full-on "Internet safety education" mode, but by high school we could open up the filters and let them learn through supervised experience with the real-world tools we know they're all using in the after hours anyway.

Chapter 9

I found it interesting that this chapter talked about School 2.0 - it's a nice dovetail with Web 2.0, but in reality I think schools have gone through a few more "updates" than that... I am a product of a rural, one-room schoolhouse with a total of 8 students in K-8. My class - of TWO - tied for largest in the building. It's amazing how much education has changed in my lifetime alone!

But not to be picky... I get the point! :)

I do think the vision for School 2.0 is grand. I think texbook compaies will fight it, and unfortunately some teachers will too. There are many teachers who won't even set up their Site Builder pages in ASD, let alone convert the class text to a wiki!

It does seem that teachers everywhere are in a constant state of reinventing the wheel. If some teacher/educational mega site (much like amazon) could exist - with choice, of course - it would be so helpful. Imagine if teachers could also post reviews about various lessons they tried... with modifications for different age groups. If it included Web 2.0 tools for teachers and students alike - how powerful! But of course education requires public funds and the scrutiny that goes along with that. Do I see a grant application in the works here?

Another thought I had while reading this chapter - how great is School 2.0 for all those helicopter parents out there! They could constantly keep tabs on student progress, read the wikis, watch the videos, listen to the podcasts... brilliant!

Grouping students by achievement rather than age is something I've often wondered about... I know there are social issues, but I could see how it would benefit many children and creating "levels" instead of "grades" would be motivational for this generation of gamers. I need to read some opposing viewpoints about this to think more...

Before any of it can be a possibility, Internet access for all must become a reality. I was glad to see the issue addressed in the chapter, but don't see any immediate solutions.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Staci, Thanks for a really complete evaluation of the book chapters. I agree that internet for all is the first step and I think our district is taking steps in that direction with increased bandwidth, wiring, infrastructure changes and looking at not only high end machines but also machines such as the eeePC which allows students access at a much lower price than the laptops used in the 1 to 1 grants. I think that it isn't an either or, we need to look at what is the right tool for each situation and commit to the funds and training of teachers to make it happen effectively.

Ann