Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week 6/Thing 14: Technorati

I'd never heard of Technorati, and it seems like a nice alternative to traditional sources of information, news, and entertainment. I searched "school library learning 2.0" (in quotes - exact phrase) and there were only about 20 hits in blog posts, 7 in tags (I entered the phrase without spaces for that search) and 10 items in the blog directory. Nice, manageable numbers... but kind of small and I wonder if I did something wrong?

I was surprised to see that the Huffington Post was the most popular blog based on authority (which in Technorati world means it has the most other sites linking to it). I enjoy reading clips from that post and it makes me wonder if the blog world is a pretty liberal one? I have always had the impression that Arianna Huffington is pretty far left...

I also peeked at Boing Boing, which touts itself as the world's most popular blog. I didn't get what was so special or spectacular about it, even after poking through some of the archives. Hmmmm. 3759 fans can't be wrong, so it must be me!

I really liked the Technorati directory - I clicked into the parenting section and was shocked to find Scribbit - a parenting blog by a lady in Alaska - to be fourth on the list. (I stumbled upon this one a few weeks back when I was looking for Alaska-related feeds for the RSS assignment.) For me the directory seems to be a good way to stumble across some informative and interesting stuff.

I decided not to "claim" my blog - they wanted a lot of information and the line about my user name being set in stone was a little intimidating. I am trying to copy the tagging code at the end of this post - with the tag set to "library2.0" so we'll see what happens.

As for tagging, I think I'm going to have to get used to it! I am pretty tied to the folder hierarchy so it will take time - I'm very linear so folders work well for me. I think it's why I prefer Outlook to gmail and Ofoto to Flickr. But tagging is clearly the way of the future, so I'd better get with the program! Even the Technorati help menu used tags instead of categories! I think the biggest benefit of tags is being able to search through mountains of information, emails, bookmarks, photos, etc. I just need to be careful and consistent when creating tags - writing "house" one week and "home" the next could result in only half the results when I'm searching for something down the road (path, street... you get the idea). Seems like synonyms could be an issue in the tagging world!

" rel="tag>library2.0

2 comments:

Ann said...

On the tagging thing, consistency is the key (which makes me feel doomed from the start) I worked hard to name my files logically, but I just don't always think of the same tags for similar items. Guess it will take more practice.

I have to admit that the technorati search left me, how does my niece put it...under whelmed :-) I tend to have much better luck finding things through recommendation and in reviews in professional journals. I haven't played much with the directory in Technorati. I will have to go back and look at that.

Ann

Soccer Mom (Kristen A) said...

I agree with Ann I do better finding information through recommendations and in reviews. I also need more practices with tagging to be successful with it.