Friday, June 13, 2008

Week 4/Thing 8: RSS

Wow - they don't call RSS "really simple" for nothin'! I've seen the icon and heard of the acronym, but never once gave it an ounce of brain power... not even to wonder what it was. Now I'm so glad that I know! I loved the Blip TV video (I watched his clip about wikis too - very well done!) and found it so easy to get my own reader set up. I looked at Bloglines, but ultimately decided to go with the Google Reader since I already have a Google account. Maybe it isn't wise to put all my eggs in one electronic basket... but if the point of all this is to save time, then I'd prefer to keep things as consolidated as possible.

I can't even tell you how many times I've stumbled across a blog and thought "hmmm... I should check this out more regularly" only to forget about it, lose the address, or run out of time. It's so easy to add and delete subscriptions to the Google Reader that I can use this tool to preview and explore various sources, and hopefully within time I will have a manageable list (ha!) of favorites. It's crazy to see all the things you can subscribe to... from blogs to news services to Flickr tags! Amazing!

To view my public Google Reader page, click here.

I'm sure it will be in a constant state of change, but at least I have one now. I'm very grateful to have learned about this tool... thanks!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Staci,
Yes RSS is a HUGE time saver and I think once you figure out the feeds that really, really have priority in your life it will be an invaluable tool. Be sure to point it out to students because the next generation will be bombarded with even more information than today and this kind of tool will be essential.

Katie

hiker said...

I love your new header - I recognize many of the titles from a few years back. I also like the simplicity of using Google REader but have noticed something I don't like about GMail. When you get email or send email notice the ads running along the side. They relate to stuff "in" your email - not even heading stuff. I realize its some type of scanner looking for key words but it's still creepy.

Staci Cox said...

Wendy, I was just checking my Google Reader tonight and noticed the ads on the side completely correlated with blogs I have subscribed to. It is rather invasive feeling. I don't use my GMail that much because I prefer Outlook and we just use our GCI account. But I do want to migrate to something more mobile in case we ever decide to dump GCI. Guess I should think carefully before using GMail - thanks for the heads-up!