Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week 6/Thing 13: Del.icio.us

I first read about Del.icio.us in School Library Journal a year or two ago (along with Furl and a few other social bookmarking sites). My library assistant and I both registered for a few of the services to check them out before spreading the word to teachers. I remember being very frustrated because I couldn't organize my bookmarks into traditional folders... I didn't have a real grasp of "tags" yet and the long list of sites was overwhelming. Now that I understand the power of tags I am going to give this another try. I opened another del.icio.us account (my first was promptly deleted!) and have started adding and tagging.

A few questions that came up along the way: is there a way to import all my Firefox bookmarks automatically? The answer turned out to be yes, and it's very easy. But my other question remains unanswered: my husband and I both use the same computer, so does this mean we share the same del.icio.us account? I'm sure we could open two separate accounts, but since we don't have separate logins to the computer how will the del.icio.us browser buttons work? When we click the "tag" button, whose del.icio.us account will it go to? Looks like we might need to open an account for him and just see what happens...

FYI: The link for the Otter Group tutorial (in the discovery exercises) is not working, nor is the "Seven Habits of Wildly Successful Del.icio.us Users." I did find a great social bookmarking tutorial by Lee Lefever that focuses on de.licio.us. His videos are great!



Del.icio.us (man that is a pain to type with the dots in weird places!) has so many uses in a school and library. I created webliographies on my library web page for various teachers, so when students came to the library for a particular project they were directed to those resources. The only problem was that whenever students or teachers came up with new sites to add I was the only one with access to update the list of URL's. If the webliography was stored in del.icio.us instead (with tags and bundles to organize different units) then everyone in the class would have the ability to upload and manage the resource list.

2 comments:

Bear Reader said...

Thanks for sharing the LeFever video on Del.icio.us. I'm a real big fan of his videos as well. They are so organized and understandable. Thanks also for sharing the webliography ideas; I think del.icio.us will be fantastic to use for gathering sites for students and staff as well. I'm looking forward to using it this coming schoolyear.

Ann said...

I have to admit to being in love with my Del.icio.us account. My laptop has a OS that allows me to set up a side bar that has all my D. Bookmarks in it and is searchable. Has saved me amazing amounts of time. It does require moving out of the folder organization model (And I have spent so much time getting all my computer files into logical folders...sigh).

Thanks for letting me know about the links. I will take care of them.

Ann