Friday, June 27, 2008

Week 5/Thing 12: Voice Thread

My parents are going to LOVE you for showing this to us! Now they will get to actually hear the kids talk, and it was so easy to set up! Our first attempt can be found at http://voicethread.com/share/162592/. I really like that you can share the voice thread without requiring people to create their own accounts too. (Many inevitably will, but I don't like sites that mandate it... I always think of my poor mother-in-law who fumbles through the simplest of technology tasks!) I also like that the public settings can be blocked from searches & the Voice Thread browse - basically, they are only "public" to people who get the link from me.

There are so many times that I have to write out a description of a picture I'm sending, and just talking through it is so much easier. It also gives it a human touch. I am having trouble embedding the actual Voice Thread (rather than just the link) into this blog, though. (Edited: weird... the voice thread didn't show up in this blog until I hit publish. Hmmmm. And a disclaimer that the kids were just sitting on their bikes and pedaling in place... which is why they don't have their helmets on!!)

I could use this tool in my library in several creative ways. I could add the threads (via links?) to the library web page to give virtual "tours" or show clips of library activities. It would be a great promotional tool and showcase the modern-day library. You could take pictures of students with books, and let them record a mini-review or booktalk. I think the students would absolutely love it!

Have I said lately how much I am loving this class?!?!

4 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Voice Thread is the best thing since sliced bread and I think it does a lot to bring a personal touch to what is a somewhat scarily disconnected cyber world. Just being able to have the ability to hear people's voices and keep in touch that way is great.

Glad the class is a hit with you :-)

Ann

Heather said...

On a personal level this site is such an awesome way to share not just pictures but experiences as well. Especially differing points of view. I would love to use this tool at school but I haven't had a chance to check and see how hard it would be to sign up students to have accounts.
Sam and Maggie are as cute as ever!

Sharon said...

I just posted a Voice Thread too and found myself thinking about posting of kids photos. I like Voice Thread because it is more personal, but after teaching iSafe it feels like I am possibly putting my kids in danger by having a photo up that includes them. I haven't figured out where the line is between personal safety and paranoia but I keep trying to find that place where I am comfortable.

Mrs. McConnell said...

Very cute voicethread! I love how you used your son to narrate! On your next one, you can continue to use him but have him also comment on several photos, ie. pics from your garagae sale or a family outing! It would be so fun for your relatives to be "taken along" a family trip! I am sure they would love hearing your son's cute voice!